Saturday, October 12, 2013

Sacrificial Love

In John 15:9-17 (KJV) Jesus says, "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his Lord doeth:  but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. These things I command you, that ye love one another."

In the above passage of scripture Jesus is speaking, He calls us his friends, and commands us to love one another as He has loved us. We are told to keep His commandments, and abide in His love. He tells us that if we obey Him we will be full of joy, and that our prayers will be answered. Jesus says there is no greater love than that of a man who will lay down his life for his friends. This type love is sacrificial, and there is no greater example of this than Jesus, He Himself being sinless, dying on the cross for our sins.

To demonstrate sacrificial love does not always mean literally dying for one another. Sacrificial love can be to sacrifice one's time, money, material possessions, or anything else that requires selflessness on our part for another individual. It means going out of one's way for a family member, friend, or stranger. As Christians who have the desire in our hearts to obey God we should be more than willing to love one another, and to act in ways that demonstrate sacrificial love. The truth is, however, when someone calls needing even the smallest of favors that would require minimal sacrifice of only our time, there are those who simply don't render the help needed. There are also those who will render the help, and sacrifice the time, but who complain about doing so, and talk about how put out they were for years to come. Friends, if you help someone, and do so begrudgingly then you may as well not have helped them because God knows your heart. When we do a favor for a friend with the wrong spirit in our heart then we are missing an opportunity to be a true blessing to them, and to receive blessings and rewards from our Heavenly Father. As Christians we should be eager to help one another regardless of whether or not we will be blessed or rewarded for it. If we aren't willing to sacrifice for others, we need to pray about that, and ask God to help us have a more loving spirit.

These days many people are so wrapped up in self that there is no way they would put themselves out to help another individual. It seems that helping others has become a rare activity, in fact it's become so rare that when you do offer to help someone, especially at no charge, they are suspicious of you. They begin wondering what it is you want from them as they are convinced you have an ulterior motive. How sad is that?

As a Christian are you obeying God in the area of sacrificial love? Do you demonstrate through actions your love for other individuals even if it means putting yourself out? Or Are you self-centered, and unwilling to sacrifice your time, money, material possessions or anything else when someone is in need? Have you needed someone in the past, and had people who love you step up and help without hesitation, and in the right spirit? If so, would you do the same thing for them? Or are you a person that if the phone rings on a Saturday morning with a friend who needs a ride because of a flat tire you cringe? Do you start with it's my day off, I'm still in my pajamas, I'm warm and comfortable in my recliner, I'm in the middle of watching this movie, and then come near collapse as you agree to help them? Do you then get dressed, get them in your vehicle, and let them know how put out you are, and what trouble they've caused you all the way to the tire shop? If so, is that how you would want them to behave toward you should the shoe be on the other foot?

If someone needs you, be willing to sacrifice a little self to help them. Remember that Jesus commanded us to love one another. Remind yourself that you too need help on occasion and think about how you want to be treated on those occasions. Remember you are a Christian which means to be Christ-like, and that God is love. If you find yourself still hesitant to sacrifice for others with the right heart, then I urge you to remember, and to thank God that Jesus Himself demonstrated the ultimate sacrificial love, when He died on the cross for our sins. If He can do something of such great magnitude and great value out of His love for us, then can't we make small sacrifices for one another, and do so with a right heart?

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you.










No comments:

Post a Comment