Thursday, October 15, 2015

Setting A Godly Example

II Timothy 1:5 (KJV) Says, "When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also."

In the above verse of scripture Paul is talking with Timothy, and he tells him that he remembers the strong faith that his grandmother, Lois, and his mother, Eunice, both had. He also tells him that he sees that same strong faith in him. Timothy's family is a prime example of how strong faith in God can be passed down from generation to generation.

The manner in which we live our lives on a day to day basis is our greatest testimony, and it can have a powerful impact on others. The faith that Lois and Eunice demonstrated in their lives was so strong that Paul did not forget it. Paul recognized that he had witnessed strong faith passed down through three generations, and that is powerful.

I was blessed to have been raised in a home with two parents who both loved the Lord, and reverenced him. I grew up attending  Church where I came to love God, and accept him as my personal Lord and Savior. I was also blessed with grandparents who loved the Lord. Having these people in my life demonstrating for me the importance of God and putting him first in my life was the greatest blessing I could have ever been given. It established within me a foundation of faith that can never be shaken. For example, there was a time in my life that I strayed from my walk with God, and during that time I consistently felt the Holy Spirit tugging at my heart in an attempt to force me back toward what I knew was the right path. Praise the Lord that I turned back to him knowing that to live a life of obedience to God is to live the greatest life anyone could ever possibly hope to live. I was raised to love God and I had accepted him into my heart, and therefore living in disobedience to him was living a life lacking any peace whatsoever. I thank God for my parents and my grandparents, for their love for the Lord, and for being examples to me of what loving him looks like.

Although we as human beings can never reach perfection, being a Christian by definition means to be Christ-like. When we behave in a Christ-like manner, first and foremost it is pleasing to God. Secondly we are setting an example for not only the children in our lives, but for every person we come in contact with. Our faith is demonstrated in many ways. It is demonstrated in how we treat other people, how we respond to difficult situations, in the way we walk through our personal storms,  in our responses, our reactions, in our work, in the words we speak, and in our actions.

It is of vital importance that we not only state that we have strong faith in God, but that we demonstrate it through our behavior. As we see by the example set for us in the above verse of scripture strong faith can be passed down from generation to generation. This means that each and every one of us can set a Godly example, and  have a powerful impact on our family members, on all those we come in contact with and on future generations, if we will choose to demonstrate our strong faith through Christ-like behavior.

Are you setting a Godly example? How do you react when people come against you? Do you pray for them and let God handle the situation; or do you respond in the same manner they would, if you had come against them? How do you react when you feel you are being treated unfairly at work? Do you pray about it allowing God to handle the situation; or do you develop a negative attitude and begin grumbling and complaining to your co-workers about it? Do you join in conversations of gossip; or do you walk away from those who are engaging in them? When something upsets you do you scream, yell, and throw a tantrum; or do you maintain Godly peace and refuse to allow whatever it is to steal your joy? When you are walking through a storm in your life, do you become angry and bitter; or do you hold God's hand and press forward? It is certain that we will face situations and issues in life that test us, and when we do with God and others watching, we have two choices one we can react in the flesh, or two we can respond in a Christ-like manner and thereby set a Godly example that can impact generations to come. My prayer is that as Christians we all choose the later.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you!

2 comments: