Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Bible Study Methods

     There are many methods in which people choose to implement, when studying the Bible. Here I would like to share the manner I use in going about my study of God's Word, and the steps I feel are vital in the study of God's Word being effective and in making certain that we are getting the correct interpretation understanding it as God meant for it to be understood. I will provide a list of these steps at the conclusion of this blogpost.

     First and foremost, I believe that we should always go to God in prayer prior to beginning our study of his Word asking him to shine light on it guiding us, and helping us to glean all that he desires us to from our study. I also feel it is important when studying God's Word that we understand the original translations, that we learn to recognize and apply God's Word to our everyday lives, and that we can recognize that God's Word applies to our personal experiences. I further feel it is important that we have the resources we need before us as we begin our study.

     I believe it is important for us to consider our life experiences including those we have had in church as we go about studying God's Word in order to apply his Word to our lives. I further believe that it is of the utmost importance that we understand the context and meaning of his Word in order to share it with others in an accurate manner. Below are listed the steps that I take when in order to study God's Word in an effective manner:

1.  Go to God in prayer asking him to lead, guide, direct, and shine light on the passages I am about
     to study.
2. I have the resources I need before me as I embark on my study, and these include for me the King
    James Version of the Bible as I feel it is the most accurately translated. I also have a concordance
    handy, as well as access to the internet.
3. I then begin my study of the Bible going at it slowly, and considering each and every word that is  
    written, and the importance of that word. For instance even the smallest words such as the word
    ALL can have a powerful meaning within a verse of scripture.
4. I make notes as I go on verses of scripture that I desire to memorize at a later date, and on those
    that I feel God brings to my personal attention for the purpose of enlightening me. I also make
    notes on how his Word applies to life today.
5. I consider the characters that I read and study about in God's Word also, I pay close attention to
    their actions, the sins they committed, the strength of their faith, how they behaved when tempted
    and when they faced trials and tribulations, as well as how they dealt with the emotions that come
    along with life in general.

There is much to be gleaned from God's Word, and I have always looked at the Bible as a miracle in and of itself. If you think about it there is not one topic regarding life and the instructions for it that cannot be found in the Word of God, and it is one single book. If an author set out to write one book that covered all these topics I have no doubt that it would require volumes. God, however, in his infinite wisdom and divine power placed it all within the pages of one single book, the Bible.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you!



    

9 comments:

  1. Darlene, Thank you for your wonderful post and insight into studying the Word of God. I have so many different ways to study the Bible, by so many authors I have so many study Bibles by these authors that it any be confusing. Your methods a really helpful and looking forward to starting your methods very so. Don't misunderstand me I have been studying His Word for many, many years but your way makes so much more sense than my way. Thank you. mikeapt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and I am glad to hear it was helpful. May God bless you

      Delete
  2. Darlene,
    Blogposts are new for me. I am very interested in learning this medium as it is yet another way to communicate with others and to learn more about the word of God. The guidelines you provide are very practical and useful. Thanks for sharing.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, and for taking the time to read my blog. I am glad to hear that you've found it helpful. May God bless you

      Delete
  3. Dalene,
    I enjoyed reading your blog and didn't realize how much we agree on the same steps to implement for bible study. One thing you did mention that I really love and that I do before bible study is to PRAY. I believe that is important that we ask God to help us to understand the love letter that He gave to us and seek His Spirit for the answers that we need. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to read my blog. Prayer is amazing, and through it God will certainly shine light on his Word for us. May God bless you

      Delete
  4. Dalene,
    I enjoyed reading your blog and didn't realize how much we agree on the same steps to implement for bible study. One thing you did mention that I really love and that I do before bible study is to PRAY. I believe that is important that we ask God to help us to understand the love letter that He gave to us and seek His Spirit for the answers that we need. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think of prayer as the first thing related to bible study, but did not include it in my "bible study methods".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. May God bless you

      Delete