Sunday, September 25, 2022

Our Children

                                                Our Children

     Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) Says, "Train up a child in the way he should go:  and when he is old, he will not depart from it." In the book of Deuteronomy, chapter 6, the Israelites are instructed to obey the Lord's commandments, statutes, and judgments. Part of these instructions pertain to teaching our children.  Chapter 6:4-7 Says, "Hear, O Israel:  The Lord our God is one Lord:  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these Words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:  And thou shalt teach them diligently to thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou riseth up."

     Let me begin by saying that whether we have children of our own or not, we more than likely have children in our lives. The importance of our teaching them about the Lord, and His Word, and setting a Godly example for them cannot be overstated. 

     The above verse of scripture taken from the book of Proverbs instructs us to train up children in a manner that guides them in a right direction, and that when we do so we are giving them a strong foundation on which to stand. That strong foundation is God, and His Word. There are situations where parents have raised their children teaching them about the Lord, and guiding them in a right direction, yet when these children grow older they veer from what they've been taught. I can tell you firsthand, however, that if they accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior that foundation doesn't crack, and the Holy Spirit will be relentless in nudging them back in the right direction. I strayed from my walk with God in my teenage years, and not a day went by during that stray that I wasn't reminded by the Holy Spirit that I needed to get back on track, and I praise God for never giving up on  me. I was brought up by a Mama who loved the Lord, and she saw to it that each of her children attended church, and were active in Sunday School, and other events that the Church offered. Of all the wonderful things my Mama did for me raising me in church, where I came to know and accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior, was the greatest. I was also blessed with a grandmother who was a huge part of my life, and she set a fantastic Godly example for me. She was a wonderful woman who had a huge impact on my life. 

     The above passage of scripture taken from the book of Deuteronomy makes clear that we are to teach our children the commandments, statutes, and judgments of the Lord. Not only does this passage instruct us to teach them, but to do so diligently. The word diligent in Greek is spoudazo, and it means to use speed, be prompt, to make effort, earnest. This term means "to hasten to do a thing, to exert oneself, give diligence, endeavor."

     In a world where the main focus seems to be getting children into the best colleges where they can earn a degree that will enable them to earn large sums of money, I encourage you to set for them, first and foremost, the goal of being the best Godly person they can be. I urge you to teach them about God and His Word, and the importance of living in obedience to Him. Be for them a great example of what that looks like. Teach them to love the Lord. Talk to them about God and his Word throughout the day as the above passage of scripture taken from Deuteronomy instructs us to do. It is by far the greatest thing you can ever do for them. Do your best to lead them to accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior reminding yourself that where they spend eternity depends on that. 

     If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you.

     

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment