Sunday, March 11, 2012

Don't be Jelly

In Exodus Chapter 20 you can find the ten commandmetns. Verse 17 says "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor  his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's." (KJV) To covet is to desire something or someone that doesn't belong to us with a major intensity.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard people talking negatively about something someone else has, and doing so with passion. This usually stems from that person wanting the object for themselves, and desperately. They begin spouting off things like did you hear about so and so, he got a new car. He didn't need a new car he's got three, and he doesn't drive but two of them.  My neighbor got a new boat, must be nice, of course I guess he can afford one since his Mama and Daddy bought and paid for his house. I wouldn't take that kind of money from my Mom and Dad. He did though, no problem, and he doesn't appreciate it one bit. He's spoiled rotten, and his parents are the cause of it. He's disrepectful to them all the time, but in my opinion they deserve what they get, because like I said they're the ones that spoiled him.

When we stumble into a rant of this nature, we are witnessing, envy and jealousy in raw emotional form. People who express opinions like that are envious, and jealous,or as my family likes to say jelly ( i.e. someone gets a new pair of shoes and when you ask about them being new they jokingly reply "why yes they are, now don't be jelly") of what another person possesses.

If  negative feelings come over you, when you hear of something someone else has obtained, and you feel the need to launch into a similar rant, don't do it. Instead, stop and  pray about your reaction immediately. As Christians, we should be genuinely happy for others when they receive blessings of any sort. We should be able to to tell them how glad we are for them, and actually mean it. If you can't seem to do that, then I encourage you to begin work in this area right away. When you can be happy for others, it pleases God, and you'll soon find that you're happier with yourself.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message, and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you.





No comments:

Post a Comment