Sunday, December 30, 2012

Shelter From Any Storm

Mark 4:36-41 (KJV) Says "And when they had sent away the multitude, they took Him even as He was in the ship. And there were also with Him other little ships. And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. And He was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow; and they awake Him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? And He arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And He said unto them Why are ye so fearful? How is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?" (KJV)

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV) Says "Be careful for nothing, but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

The above scripture from the book of Mark shows us that there have been people who demonstrated a lack of faith even with Jesus physically in their midst during a storm. This makes it a bit less surprising that many people today exhibit that same lack of faith as they face storms of their own. It is certain that we will meet up with trials, tribulations, temptations, and storms in our lives, and God's Word tells us so. You may have lost a loved one, lost your job, went through a painful break-up or divorce, maybe you lost your house, your car, or you're facing some other storm, and you feel you just can't make it through. Alone you may not have the strength to, but by placing your faith in God, and calling on Him I have no doubt that you can. God will strengthen you, and He will provide you with shelter from any storm.

If you are facing a difficult time in your life, go to God in pray and ask Him to be with you, to lead, guide, and direct your path. Ask Him to give you the strength you need to make it through whatever it is you're facing, and put your faith and trust in Him. He will not leave you nor forsake you. I know because I have leaned on Him many times in my life, and He has never let me down. I have faced some personal storms of late, and  I'm not going to lie, and tell you it has been easy because it hasn't. As a matter of fact, it has been extremely difficult and very painful, but I have no doubt that God will see me through just as He has so many times before.

The above scripture from Philippians promises us that if we will take our problems to God in prayer, He will give us peace in our hearts and our minds. He promises not just peace, but peace to a degree that we can't understand it, a divine peace greater than any we have known. We only have to keep our faith and put our trust in Him. If you are facing a storm, I encourage you to go to God in prayer, cast your cares on Him, ask Him to give you the strength you need to endure, and He will be there for you. He will see you through.

There are times when sad thoughts, discouragement, or depression attempt to creep up on me, and I interrupt these attacks immediately. I think to myself, or sometimes even say out loud, something to remind myself that God will see me through. Lately it's been "God is my Rock." That four word phrase has the power to rebuke the lies Satan attempts to attack me with. I encourage you to try it. You may find some other phrase from scripture that you prefer to use, and that's fine just choose one that suites you, and use it.

Don't give up in the midst of your storm. If you have taken your issue to God in prayer, then leave it there. Don't be fearful and doubting like the men in the boat. When we do what we can then God will do what we can't. The holidays are wonderful, but at this time of year many people become sad and depressed for various reasons.  As I mentioned above some are mourning the loss of a loved one, some have financial trouble, job loss, sickness, others are broken hearted over a failed relationship, and the list goes on and on. Whatever storm you're facing, whatever the source of your pain, hold on, trust God, have faith in Him, and remember you are His child, you are special to Him,  and He loves you tremendously.

I have no problem admitting that as I face heartache and pain from the storms in my life, I depend on God to see me through. I don't understand how anyone goes through storms without Him, or why they would attempt to. Isaiah 41:13 (KJV) says "For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee." He makes it clear in this scripture that we don't have to be afraid, that He will help us, and that He will hold our hand, when we need Him to do so.

God is my Lord and Savior, and He is first in my life. He is my rock, and my strength. I am extremely grateful that He is there for me to lean on, always.  I can trust Him to keep His promises, and to never fail me. I can go to Him anytime day or night in prayer and talk to Him about absolutely anything. I praise Him and I thank Him for the many blessings He has given me. When I'm facing a storm, He is there to comfort me, strengthen me, and hold my hand as He walks me through it. He will do the same things for you. If you're facing a storm and feeling overwhelmed as though you can't make it through, I urge you to pray, ask God for comfort, strength and direction. I urge you not to go it alone, but to reach out and take His hand.

If you haven't accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, and you have the desire in your heart to do so, don't put it off. Go to God in prayer immediately, right where you are. Ask Him to forgive you of your sins, tell Him you believe that Jesus was born, that He died on the cross for your sins, and that He rose again. Ask Him to come into to your heart and be your Lord and Savior. Friends this is the most important thing you'll ever do, and it is the greatest gift you could ever receive.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you.



No comments:

Post a Comment