Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pride

Proverbs 16:18-19 (KJV) Says, "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. Better it is to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud." Proverbs 16:5 (KJV) Says, "Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished." Proverbs 26:12 (KJV) Says, "Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? There is more hope of a fool than of him." James 4:6 (KJV) Says, "But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." Proverbs 8:13 (KJV) Says, "The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate."

The above scripture makes it perfectly clear to us that God does not like pride, and there are many more passages to reiterate that point. When most of us think about pride we associate it with individuals who boast about things like the car they drive, the house they live in, their careers, the school their children attend,  and anything else they can use to build themselves up to all who will listen. Some individuals look at what others possess,  compare it to what they own, and then make the decision to lift themselves up above them because they don't feel their material possessions are equal to or greater than their own. When we decide that we are better than someone else because, we drive a better car, live in a more expensive home, our children go to private schools, we make a higher salary, we put our career above theirs, we think their sin is somehow greater than ours, and things of this nature it is pride and arrogance. This is probably the most common and recognized way in which pride is manifested, but there are others that tend to be a bit less obvious.

Failing to recognize our own faults is a form of pride. When I was growing up my Mom taught me many valuable lessons, and one of those was to take a look at my own behavior in situations where I had a disagreement with someone. For example, If throughout the day I had argued with all four of my siblings at different times, then the problem may be me. It forced me to acknowledge that my siblings were getting along well with one another, and that the common denominator in all of the arguments that had occurred that day was me. I was not for one minute entertaining the idea that I could be at fault until Mom suggested I take a look at how I was behaving. On most, if not all, of these occasions, after heeding her advice and taking a look at my behavior and attitude, I realized rather quickly I was the instigator. I would then admit to Mom it was me, and share with her what was behind my behaving in the manner I had. There was always an underlying issue that had nothing whatsoever to do with my siblings.  Although I didn't think about it at the time, my failing to see that I could possibly be at fault was pride. I never considered it could be me, and I think there are many individuals today who are guilty of the same thing. Whenever problems, disagreements, or issues of any sort arise that prompt us to start pointing the finger and blaming others, we should first evaluate whether we could be partially or entirely at fault.

Failing to apologize when we know we are wrong, is another way in which pride can manifest itself. I've heard many people make excuses for individuals who refuse to apologize, and most say it's because the person is stubborn. Although they may be stubborn, when someone knows their wrong and refuses to apologize, pride is standing in their way. Being stubborn is an entirely different problem. As Christians, we are to follow the example set for us by Jesus, and he being perfect, demonstrated humility. No human being is perfect, and therefore there are times in all of our lives where we need to humble ourselves, and apologize for something we've said or done. Apologizing for a wrong we've done is freeing to our conscience, it is the right thing to do, and we will feel so much better for having done it. Most importantly, it is pleasing to God.


Do you have a problem with pride in your life? Do you boast and brag about your worldly possessions, and anything else you can find to boast and brag about? Do you hold yourself above others? Have you ever considered that some people may be placed in your path by God as a test of pride and humility? If God placed a test of pride and humility in your path, would you pass it? Do you remember God, and give him the glory for all you've accomplished, and all the blessings he has bestowed on you or do you take all the credit? Do you struggle to apologize even we you know you are wrong because you are filled with pride? Do you consider your faults, or are you a finger pointer?

There is nothing wrong with having a healthy pride in ourselves or for one another, when we accomplish something. The problem comes when we begin to boast and brag on ourselves and our possessions, refuse to admit when we are wrong, refuse to apologize when we should, and when we fail to give God the credit and the glory he deserves for all He accomplishes through and for us. If you have a problem in any of these areas, I encourage you to begin working on them today. Remember God in all things, and follow the example that Jesus set for us by walking in love and humility. Remember it is God who lifts up, and brings low. Remember it is impossible to learn a persons story at a glance, and we all have a story. Finally, if you find yourself feeling as though you are above a task or an individual, remember that Jesus was born in a manger, and that He washed the disciples feet.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to  pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, have I had to swallow that “pride” pill many times, and still work on it within myself daily! I have come a long way, but never want to stop looking within myself for my own inefficiencies in this area. Humbleness comes from knowing that we all can be brought to our knees at any time and must remember that all blessings and grace bestowed upon our lives comes from and is found only in our Lord, Jesus Christ!

    ReplyDelete