Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Godly Influence

II Timothy 3:16 (KJV) Says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness;" Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) Says, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

The above verse taken from II Timothy is advising us that all scripture is from God, and that His Word contains the instructions we need in order to live our lives in a Godly manner. This verse tells us God's Word can be used for doctrine, which is to tell us what to believe, for reproof, which is to tell us what is wrong, for correction, meaning to tell us how to correct a wrong, and for instruction in righteousness, meaning to instruct us on the way we are to live and conduct ourselves as followers of Jesus Christ. The second verse of scripture listed above taken from Proverbs tells us the importance of teaching the children in our lives right from wrong, and setting an example for them to follow. This scripture tells us that if we teach them right from wrongs as youngsters they will remember what we taught them for the rest of their lives.

I know firsthand that when we teach children by example, using God's word as instruction, it remains with them for the rest of their lives. Those of you who have read my blog in the past know that my Grandmother, who I called Granny, was a wonderful Christian woman, and that she had a tremendous Godly influence on my life. She was loving, forgiving, kind, patient, merciful, compassionate, she helped anyone in anyway she could, and I never once saw her lose her temper. She showed me what it meant to live our lives in accordance with the example Jesus set for us to follow. She taught me many things using instructions taken from God's word, and she did so in a kind, and effective manner. Not once did she scream and yell scripture at me, not once did she condemn me or advise me that I was going to hell in a hand basket, not once did she judge me, and not once did she beat me over the head with her Bible.

Granny had a way of teaching me valuable lessons in a loving manner. For instance, I was angry with one of my friends one day, and began spouting off what I thought my friend deserved as punishment for the wrong she had done even though she had apologized. Granny said "well, you should forgive her. We shouldn't throw stones at people, because we all make mistakes, and need forgiveness ourselves at one time or another." As I grew older I learned of John 8:7 (KJV) which says, "So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." Granny had taught me a biblical lesson. She put what Jesus said to those who were of the opinion a woman should be stoned to death for a sin she had committed, into terms a child could understand. I have not forgotten that lesson, and I am much quicker to forgive.

Growing up I had a bit of a temper, and I went through a stage where when I got angry, I would remain angry for quite a while. One day we went to visit Granny, and I can't remember why, but I was angry because of something that had occurred earlier that afternoon. We visited for about an hour or so before my Mom said we needed to leave. I was obviously still angry so Granny came over, and sat down beside me on the sofa. She ask me what was wrong, I proceeded to tell her, adding that I was furious, as if my attitude had not made that obvious. She told me it was okay to get angry, and that it was normal to do so on occasion, but that I shouldn't stay angry. She said holding onto anger only hurts the person carrying it, and the person you are angry with is probably not thinking about the situation at all. They are probably off having a good time somewhere while you are allowing anger to spoil your day. She told me she loved me, told me to forgive the person, and not to go to bed angry. She said we should never go to bed angry. I thanked her, told her I loved her, and thought about what she had said on the ride home. Knowing Granny was right, I opted to heed her advice, and am proud to say that I didn't go to bed angry.  Ephesians 4:26 (KJV) Says, "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:"

As far back as I can remember, one of my pet peeves has been snobbery. I cannot understand how someone can walk around behaving as if they are better than someone else. I told Granny one day about a girl I knew in high school that I believed might be the snob of all snobs, and that just watching her behavior brought me instant nausea. She told me not to let this girls behavior upset me. She said God sees all things, and to remember that a bird never flies so high it doesn't have to come down for water.  Proverbs 16:18 (KJV) Says, "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

Those are just a few of  the biblical lessons Granny passed on to me. There are many more. She taught me each of them by example, with love, patience, kindness, compassion, and understanding. I have never forgotten a single one of those valuable lessons, and they come flooding back to me every time I need one of them. I could never thank my Granny enough for those teachings, and the Christ like example she set for me, but I am certainly grateful for them, and for her. Granny went home to be with the Lord in December of 1988, but my tremendous love and respect for her, the treasured memories she left me, and the Godly influence she had on my life will live forever in my heart.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you.







No comments:

Post a Comment