Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Are You a Runner?

If you have chosen to ignore God's call on your life, and you are running in the opposite direction of that call, then I urge you to stop right where you are, turn around, and obey him. The story of Jonah, found in the Bible in the book by the same name, is an excellent example of what happens when we run from God. Jonah was called by God to go into the city of Nineveh, and share with the people there the message He gave him to share. Instead of going to Nineveh as God commissioned him to do, however, he runs in the opposite direction.

Jonah opts to board a ship headed for Tarshish, and while he's aboard this ship a raging storm occurs. It is determined that Jonah running from God's call on his life is the cause of this storm. The other men on board, at Jonah's suggestion, threw him into the sea to avoid further peril, and endangering their own lives. The moment he is thrown into the sea it is calmed, and the storm subsides. Jonah is then swallowed by a great fish that God had waiting on him, where he spends three days and three nights. The men become God fearing believers, and Jonah begins praying while in the belly of the fish. This great fish spits Jonah out, and answering God's call he goes to Nineveh to preach God's message to the people there. I feel certain Jonah wishes he had done what God asked him to do the first time, and that if he had it to do over again he would forego the running.

Let me share with you that I was not just a runner, but a long distance runner. I knew early on that I had a call on my life to spread God's word, but I failed to heed that call for a number of years.  I suffered a great deal of inner turmoil because I made the decision to run, and I made many mistakes along the way. I wasted a lot of time that could have been spent serving God, and I regret that to this day. God watched over me, and protected me throughout my rebellion, and I am extremely grateful to him for doing so.

When I decided to answer God's call on my life, my inner turmoil ceased, and I felt a calm come over me, just as it did the sea during the great storm in the book of Jonah.  I gained a peace and contentment like none I've ever known. If you are fleeing from God's call on your life or you're under conviction and desiring God's precious gift of salvation but are hesitating, I encourage you to stop hesitating, and to stop running.You will be so much happier living out God's plan for your life than you are  avoiding it. I know that for certain, because I am a witness, firsthand.

If you have the desire to invite God into your heart, and accept His precious gift of salvation, but
 you have been hesitating don't wait another minute. We are not promised tomorrow. Get right with God, and do it today. Go to him in prayer, ask him to forgive you of all of your sins, tell Him you believe that Jesus was born, that He died on the cross for your sins, and that He rose again. Ask Him to come into your heart, and be your Lord and Savior. Making this decision is choosing to make the greatest, and most important decision you will ever make in your life.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you!











6 comments:

  1. I am hard time with the term "turn it over to God"...I am in AA and I always worry about tomorrow..I feel like I just can't handle everything going. Yes, I have always been a runner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that it is difficult to hand your problems over to God and truly let go of them, but in time you will learn that you can. I Peter 5:7 tells us to cast our cares upon God because he cares for us. I am very familiar with AA, and I know your battle is not an easy one. Don't think about tomorrow, think about the moment you are in.If you have to take one second at a time do it. Every minute that you remain sober you are a step closer to winning your battle. I will pray daily that God gives you the strength to overcome this hurdle, and to deal with the things you have going on in your life, whatever they are. Remember one second at a time if that's what it takes, and I pray those seconds turn into minutes, hours, days, and years. May God bless you and strengthen you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! And boy does it hit home. I've run for so long you would think I would be thinner. Finally just decided to start listening. Might as well. God will keep on until you listen to what He wants you to do! Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to read my blog. I didn't listen for a long while, and you are spot on God will keep on until you do what He wants you to do..I love you too!

      Delete