Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wisdom

I Kings 3:5 (KJV) Says "In Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give thee." In I Kings 3:7-9 (KJV) Solomon responds saying "And now, O Lord my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: And I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in. And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude. Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?" Solomon's response pleased God and in I Kings 3:11-14 (KJV) He answers Solomon saying "Because thou hast ask this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; Behold, I have done according to  thy words: lo I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee. And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honor: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days. And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy Father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days."

The above scripture tells us a great deal about the kind of man Solomon was. He put the people above himself. When God asked him what he would like from Him, he ask for an understanding heart so he would have the wisdom to judge the people fairly. He was a kind hearted, understanding, unselfish, caring and fair man. If this had not been the case, he would have ask that God grant him things he alone could benefit from. God blesses and honors those of a pure heart, and so as it turned out because Solomon made the request that he did God granted him not only a wise and understanding heart, but riches and honor also with a promise to lengthen his days, if Solomon would continue to walk in his ways, and keep his statutes and commandments like his Father David did.

Wisdom comes in many forms, and it is something that we, like Solomon, should desire. It comes in the form of life lessons where we gain knowledge by experience. It comes in the form of private and public education, and it can be gained from being self-taught. It also comes in the form of common sense. Wisdom can be gained by listening to people share their past experiences with us, and from the advice given us by our parents, grandparents, and other loved ones.

Each form of wisdom that I mentioned in the above paragraph is sought after by many. There are a number of people in pursuit of all forms of education. We are familiar with that fact, and more than likely most of us hear about it daily via one avenue or another. I often hear people express heart-felt passion when talking about school and college for their children, and sometimes for themselves. I hear people talking about how they learned to do this or that,  but I rarely hear anyone mention the desire for the greatest form of wisdom one could ever hope to gain. I am talking about the wisdom to read and understand God's word in the manner He meant for it to be understood. The one book containing more wisdom than any person could grasp in one lifetime, and people tend to shy away from it.

I've heard many excuses as to why people don't read and study God's Word. One of the most popular would have to be "I tried, but I don't understand it", and then there's "I don't have time," and the list goes on and on. The truth is, if we have the desire to read and study God's word we can and will do it. If you feel you have a problem understanding it pray before you begin reading, and like Solomon ask God for the wisdom to understand it. Ask him to lead, guide, and direct you through it, and he will shine light on it  as you read and study. I would like to encourage you to read the Bible in its entirety at least once in your lifetime. It is truly an amazing book, and it is imperative that you know for yourself what it says in order to avoid being misled by anyone teaching false information. If you feel intimidated, and don't want to begin reading at Genesis, then a great place to start is the book of Proverbs, it offers a tremendous amount of wisdom, and is not difficult to understand. If you begin reading, and come to something you don't understand keep reading, don't give up. It seems people are quicker to give up on reading the Bible than they are many other things, and that is a shame considering the value of it's content.  Purchase a research Bible, and look up the meaning of the scripture for yourself, or make a note of the verses you don't understand, and ask someone known to be knowledgeable in God's Word to explain it to you.

Consider this, there is no topic for which you have a question that the Holy Bible does not have the answer to. There is no emotion, trial, or tribulation, that you are going through that the Holy Bible can't provide comfort for. These facts alone should prove to you what an amazing book it is. The Holy Bible is God's instruction for our lives, and we all know what happens when we try to do anything without first reading the instructions. If you don't own a copy of the Holy Bible purchase one. If you have one somewhere find it, and dust it off. If you have one and you read and study it wonderful. Friends I can't stress enough the importance, and the benefits of reading and studying God's Word. It is food for your Spirit, and it is an avenue God can and will use to speak to you. I urge you to get in God's Word, read and study it, and to do so daily.

If you have a prayer request and would like me to pray for you, leave me a message and I will be more than happy to do so. May God bless you.
















No comments:

Post a Comment